Advanced Fraud Detection Suite™
Fraud Hurts, Fight Back
According to the results of the 13th annual CyberSource Online Fraud Report, U.S. merchants lost an estimated $3.4 billion to fraud in 2011. The Advanced Fraud Detection Suite was specifically built to provide merchants with tools to better combat online fraud. Here's how the Advanced Fraud Detection Suite can help:
- Reduce Costs – Minimize and prevent authorization and chargeback fees as well as possible inventory loss resulting from fraudulent transactions.
- Protect Profits – Maximize legitimate transactions, rather than refusing business due to a fear of potential fraud.
- Maximize Flexibility – Customize filter settings according to your unique business needs.
- Improve Intelligence – Restrict transaction activity from specific Internet Protocol (IP) addresses using powerful IP tools.
- Easy to Use – A setup wizard guides you through the configuration process.
How it Works
AFDS includes multiple filters and tools that work together to evaluate transactions for indicators of fraud. Their combined logic provides a powerful and highly effective defense against fraudulent transactions.
In addition to the filters listed below, Authorize.Net also offers a new Daily Velocity Filter at no charge. The Daily Velocity Filter allows you to specify a threshold for the number of transactions allowed per day, a useful tactic to identify high-volume fraud attacks.
- Amount Filter – Set lower and upper transaction amount thresholds to restrict high-risk transactions often used to test the validity of credit card numbers.
- Hourly Velocity Filter – Limit the total number of transactions received per hour, preventing high-volume attacks common with fraudulent transactions.
- Shipping-Billing Mismatch Filter – Identify high-risk transactions with different shipping and billing addresses, potentially indicating purchases made using a stolen credit card.
- Transaction IP Velocity Filter – Isolate suspicious activity from a single source by identifying excessive transactions received from the same IP address.
- Suspicious Transaction Filter – Reviews highly suspicious transactions using proprietary criteria identified by Authorize.Net's dedicated Fraud Management Team.
- Authorized AIM IP Addresses – Allows merchant submitting Advanced Integration Method (AIM) transactions to designate specific server IP addresses that are authorized to submit transactions.
- IP Address Blocking – Block transactions from IP addresses known to be used for fraudulent activity.
- Enhanced AVS Handling Filter – The Address Verification Service (AVS) is a standard feature of the payment gateway that compares the address submitted with an order to the address on file with the customer's credit card issuer. Merchants can then choose to reject or allow transactions based on the AVS response codes. AFDS includes a new AVS filter that assists the decision process by allowing merchants the additional options of flagging AVS transactions for monitoring purposes, or holding them for manual review.
- Enhanced CCV Handling Filter – Like AVS, Card Code Verification (CCV) is a standard feature of the payment gateway. CCV uses a card's three- or four-digit number to validate customer information on file with the credit card association. Like the AVS Filter, the CCV Filter allows merchants the additional options of flagging CCV transactions for monitoring purposes, or holding them for manual review.
- Shipping Address Verification Filter – Verifies that the shipping address received with an order is a valid postal address.
- IP Shipping Address Mismatch Filter – Compare the shipping address provided with an order to the IP address of where the order originated from. This helps to determine whether or not the order is shipping to the country from which it originated.
- Regional IP Address Filter – Flag orders coming from specific regions or countries. You can choose to customize the filter actions based on an entire geographic area, or select country by country how to process transactions flagged by the filter.
Have a Question?
Monday through Friday, 6 AM to 4 PM Pacific time (closed major holidays)
Fraud Detection Case Study
Protection from online fraud is essential for e-commerce merchants. Learn how an Authorize.net merchant fought fraud and won using Authorize.Net's Fraud Detection Suite, a powerful set of filters and tools that helps merchants identify and manage suspicious transactions.
FAQs: Advanced Fraud Detection Suite
Check out our FAQs for answers to some of our most commonly asked questions.
AFDS White Paper
Learn more about our customizable solution to combat the most common types of online fraud.
|"With AFDS, we have peace of mind that when orders are approved they are legitimate. We haven't processed a fraudulent transaction since we implemented AFDS."||Darin Goodrum, Sunflower Wrestling|